Wednesday, September 1, 2010

University of Eternity Chapter 4


Chapter 4
Wave of thoughts

 
 

 
EPOV
(Edward's Point of view)


 

    I couldn't believe what Alice was trying to tell me, it didn't seem real. Alice's visions weren't always on point, but with everything Alice I just looked at her and gave her an appeasing smile. Part of me was just thinking that Alice was dreaming all of this up her fanciful little head of hers; I knew everyone was sick and tired of me being alone. I was the only one who didn't have anyone, but I liked that way. I was stuck in the eternal life and I liked my solitude, I never had to put up with anyone getting upset because I spent too much time surfing or playing my guitar or whatever. I did what I wanted and no one got in my way. Carlisle was always asking me if I wanted more, but honestly I didn't I had been through it all. I just wanted to surf, it was the only place I felt calm in this eternal madness of my world. It was the only place I felt like me, like the Edward that I knew so, so long ago. I only remember that my father was a distinguished merchant who had moved my mother and I to the islands of Hawaii, where he could invest in sugarcane plantations. He was a merchant trader and he saw the potential of it all, all the promise that those islands held. I don't know, I remember my mother taking me to the beach on the North shore, I remember the smell of the flowers that were always thick in the air, swirling with the salty air. I had spent most of my childhood on the beaches of Oahu, then when I was 17 I wanted adventure, there was a war coming so I decided to become a soldier. I never got my chance, on my journey back to the mainland I fell deathly ill and that is when Carlisle found me, he was my attending doctor; everything happened so quickly. I remember Carlisle telling me that he was going to give me a chance, and then I was burning, I was on fire for three days. When I woke, I was now dead set to live and eternal life.

    "Edward, are you going to go?" I heard Alice asking from the living room.

    "Jesus Alice, what the hell?" I really didn't want to go parading through town, but something deep inside of me started to stir and my curiosity was getting the better of me. "Yes, hang on…I be down in a second" I threw on my shoes and headed downstairs. I went out to the garage to get in my Volvo; I can't believe we are actually going to drive by her house.

    "Come on, don't you want to see what she looks like, IN THE FLESH?" Emmet said in his boisterous sarcastic tone.

    "You guys are fucking kidding me right? All of you are coming; this is ridiculous, having a train of cars drive past her house, seriously?" I just stood there looking at all of my siblings; they just looked back at me with shitty grins on their faces. Emmet and Jasper climbed into his Jeep and Rosalie and Alice got into Rose's Mercedes. I was driving by myself; I was going to head to the beach after anyway.

    And there we were driving past Chief Swan's house, just so we could all get a glimpse of his daughter. I felt absolutely absurd doing this; I just turned up my music and tried to not pay attention. But when we got closer there she was, standing in the driveway. She was tiny, it shocked me how at small she was, but there was something about her. Her hair was long, I couldn't tell just how long, but it was a deep chestnut color, and she had eyes to match, big and wondrous with long dark lashes. Her lips were full, here top one smaller than her bottom, but it was her slender neck and her tiny hands that caught my attention. In those tiny hands and in her arms she was carrying something I would not have expected, surfboards. I realized that I started slowing down and I could see she was staring at my window, trying to see inside, even though she couldn't because they were tinted dark. The song playing in the background made something push inside me, I didn't know what that was, and I wasn't sure if I liked it. I started to speed up and I took off, I separated from my siblings and headed towards the beach, I needed to think, no I needed to just be alone, be in the place that made me feel like me. I wasn't sure what just happened when I drove by Chief Swan's house, but I did know that the water was calling me.

    As I got to the turnaround, I realized that I hadn't brought my board with me. Oh well, I was just going to jump in the water, I didn't even care, I just needed to be submerged, surrounded by my liquid sanctuary. I got out of my car and headed down to the beach. I knew that no one was going to be around so the fact that I was wearing just a pair of board shorts wasn't going to cause any one to pay attention. I just ran right in, letting the salty water fall around me. I was feeling better already, I could lose myself here, and the ocean was my haven. I swam out way past the break, where it was deep and the shore seemed far away. I had been out there for a while and decided to head back in, I was really thinking about going back home to get my board and come back. I started to make my way to the shore and I caught a faint disgustingly familiar scent in the air, they better not be over here, I thought to myself. This was my turf, no dogs allowed; the treaty line was drawn at the end of La Push beach. The Quiletes had their reservation and we stayed off, and this beach was mine. There they were, I could see Jacob Black walking down the beach with Chief Swan's daughter. I got out of the water and ran, fast enough that no human would have noticed, but I know that Jacob saw me or at least could smell that I was there. When I ran, I looked right at him, making sure that he understood he was pushing it, and that he needed to turn the fuck around. When I got up past the trees I watched them, I could hear Jacob telling her that they needed to turn around, she did not like the idea at all. Feisty little thing she was, seemed strange coming from such a tiny thing. I climbed up a tree to make sure that they were leaving; finally I saw that she started to stomp off and Jacob followed.

    The next morning I was aching to surf, so I grabbed my board and headed back to the beach. I didn't mention anything to my family about Jacob Black being that close to the boundary line, he understood my look. I got down to the garage and Emmet and Jasper were in there messing around with Emmet's Jeep, contemplating what other ridiculous things they could do to it.

    "Hey bro, what ya doing?" Emmet bellowed at me. "Want to go drive past her house again; she was kind of hot, for a human?"

    "Emmet shut the fuck up before I shove this board up your ass" He was such an ass.

    "Whatever surfer boy" Emmet and Jasper just went back to their conversation.

    I just wanted to surf, I didn't want to think about "her" Alice could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I pulled out of the garage and just turned up my music and drove away, focused on the waves that were ahead of me. When I got to the turnaround there was a piece of shit truck parked there, I jumped out immediately, and it hit me, that fucking smell, but then there was something else there as well. Something so familiar, Hawaii, I could smell the plumeria and the sand, I was lost. I didn't know what was going on. I grabbed my board and headed towards the water, I needed the water. Then I saw her, she was lost in herself, she was so fluid, like she was an extension of the wave itself, it was beautiful. I couldn't move, I just stood there and watched her, she snapped up on her board effortlessly, breaking with the wave, I was watching her hips move, it was erotic, she just danced on her board, I could feel myself growing hard under my board shorts. She started to paddle in again, she snapped up and then like she hit a wall, she flew forward head first into the water. All of a sudden I felt panic and pain, and I just ran fast. I leaped into the water, swimming hard, slicing through the waves. I found her, she was sinking, she had hit her head on a rock, I grabbed her and pulled up dragging her to the shore. When I got her there, I was hit with the most intense burning in my throat, I could feel my body tense and my eyes go dark. Fuck, the blood running down the side of her head, it was intoxicating, I just wanted to bite, and bite hard. I hadn't wanted a human like this ever, she smelled so good. Then her eyes slid open and it snapped me back. She needed help.


 

BPOV (Back to Bella's point of view)


 

    The pain brought me back again, slowly I started coming back. I just felt my body, it was heavy and aching, my head was throbbing hard and sharp. I was cold, but I could feel something around, something familiar, it was my blanket that I had grabbed before leaving the house. I struggled for a moment and just tried to focus, I could feel heat, and I was laying on something soft, and then it struck me like a bolt of lightning, I wasn't wearing my wetsuit anymore. I forced my eyes to open and looked around; I was lying in the back of a car, black leather, and it smelled of sweet sage, honey, and sea water. I turned my head to look around to my other side and there he was. Those eyes, I couldn't forget those eyes anywhere, they burned into me. I searched for words, trying to force my mouth to open and let something, anything come out.

    "Ow, ahh" I sighed in pain. "Where am I?" My question all of a sudden sounded kind of idiotic, but I just stared at him waiting to give me an answer.

    "You are in my Volvo, you took a pretty gnarly spill, hit your head" His words were like smooth deep velvet. "I saw you and grabbed you out of the water, brought you to my car, to warm you up and put something on you cut, it's pretty nasty. You should go get that looked at" I just stared at him, I reached up placing my hand to my head.

    "Fuck" I grumbled, then realizing that my word choice was not the best."Uh, did you take off my wetsuit?" I felt really awkward asking, especially since this guy was ridiculously gorgeous, which was weird for me, I never really paid too much attention, but his close proximity was making it hard not to.

    "Oh yeah, I thought it would help you get warm faster" he started to climb out of the Volvo. I slowly forced myself to sit up. Damn my head really hurt.

    "Oh, got ya. Thanks" I really didn't know what to say.

    "What are you doing at this beach?" My eyes shot over at him, he plays my rescuer and now I am going to get shit.

    "Surfing, what did it look like?" I shot back at him.

    "This is a private beach just so you know, meaning not open to the public" I think my jaw dropped. I couldn't think, I was in shock, how could he be so Mr. Jump-in-the-water-and-save-my-life one minute and then turn into an asshole the next?

    "Yeah okay, whatever, I didn't see a sign" I just held my stare. "I didn't know you owned the ocean, my bad, sorry" Sarcasm may not have been the smartest path, but that was fucking irritating.

    "Well just know, it's a private beach, my family's beach" The look on his face was stern, like he was reprimanding a child. "I should take you home, you shouldn't drive" There, what the fuck, talk about confusing, now he was back to being Mr. Hero.

    "Whatever" I saw that he had grabbed my backpack and towel from the beach. "Where is my board?" I shot at him.

    "I put it on top of my car, your other one too. Do you need anything else out of your truck?" His tone was empty, almost as if he was annoyed.

    "My clothes would be nice" He went over and got them out of my truck and handed them to me. "Thanks" I really wasn't happy about having to ride in a vehicle with this guy, I didn't care how hot he was.

    "Your welcome" I got out of the Volvo to slip my jeans on, I threw my t-shirt and hoodie on. Then I felt it, deep down in my stomach, a shift, and it echoed through my entire body, I don't know if I liked it or what. Then I saw him out of the corner of my eye, he was watching me as I got dressed, typical fucking guy. I climbed into the front seat and shut the door. He put it in drive and pulled out of the turnaround. This was going to be a long ride home. He didn't say anything, he just drove, it was so frustrating.

    "What's your name" I asked, I just didn't want to sit in silence. "I'm Bella…Swan" I dragged it out, he turned to look at me for a moment and then looked back towards the road.

    "Edward Cullen" Holy shit, this was the guy from yesterday, who drove past my house. I didn't even realize it, I wasn't even paying attention. I sat there trying to absorb everything, my head was pounding.

    He pulled in front of my house, putting it in park and then turned the engine off. He got out and started to unhook my boards from the roof of the Volvo. I suddenly felt ill and nervous. I didn't know what to say, he was such an asshole, but he did save my life.

    "Thanks" I grumbled. He carried my boards over to the garage and leaned them against the wall. I just kind of stood there; my feet didn't want to move.

    "Yep" He walked past me and nodded his head slightly. "You should get that looked at, in case you need stitches or something" Then he climbed back into his Volvo, turning the engine on and drove off.

    I realized I was still standing in the same place. What the hell just happened? Finally I found the strength to move and walked into the house. My dad wasn't home, he must be fishing or with Sue or something. I went to my bag to get my phone, to call him, I needed to get my truck and despite my disdain towards my rescuers words, I knew I should go to the hospital to have my head looked at. So, I called Charlie and he came home right away, Sue was with him. He was going to take me to the hospital. I liked that Charlie came home quickly and that he didn't make a huge fuss over it. I just wanted to forget the day, well not the whole day, just the accident part, and the Edward Cullen asshole part, or did I? I went to get my bag, I knew I was in for a wait at the hospital and I wanted to bring my iPod with me, I couldn't find it. Shit, did I leave it in my truck; I don't think that I did. I must have, shit I was not happy now.


 


  Enjoy monkeys..let me know what you think...huggies and squishies...


 

2 comments:

  1. OMG Kate, you had me pulling out my hair and I nearly fell of my chair.I could just imagine that I was right there with them and I imagined it all in my head. Why did you leave it there, Im so angry with you but I also love you. That was a great chapter and I hope you don't keep me waiting to long for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for all the cliffies but that's just how it goes...How else am I gonna get you to keep reading ;) :P...I promise you will fucking love the next Chapter...cross my heart and hope to die..stick a needle in something...Don't get your panties in a twist...LOL...Love ya!!!!kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete