Monday, August 30, 2010

University of Eternity Chapter 3


Chapter 3
Mysterious Wave

 

 
  

 
    I didn't sleep well all I could think about was getting to that beach. It wouldn't have been such a big deal but Jake through such a little bitch fit about it that it just made my curiosity dance even more. I lay in bed and watched the dawn break, no sun came streaming through my windows, just another day of overcast. Cloudy was definitely the sunny, this was going to take some getting used to. I finally got up and went and took a shower, I put my green and white Roxy bikini on, threw on my favorite pair of old jeans that were torn at the knees, my old Ramones t-shirt, hoodie, and slipped on my vans sneakers. I just tied my hair up in a big pile on top of my head. Grabbed my iPod, cell, wallet and keys and went down stairs. I walked in the kitchen to find my dad and Sue sitting at the table both were drinking coffee, my dad was reading the paper and Sue was reading a book, I couldn't tell what the title was.

    "Coffee's hot and fresh Bella" Sue said with a cheery tone and a smile. This was still so surreal to me, it didn't bother me, and it was just going to take some getting used to is all. She hadn't moved in yet, but I got the feeling that she stayed here often. Sue had two kids from of her own Seth and Leah, I had meant when I was younger. When Jake and I hung out when we were kids, they would occasionally tag along, Seth more than Leah, I always remembered Leah hanging out with some other boy, and I think his name was Sam Ulley or something.

    "Oh yeah, thanks" I replied. "Hey dad does that outdoor store sell wetsuits?" I asked. "I ah need to get one; I don't fit into my old one"

    "Yeah pretty sure they do, but I don't think they open for another half hour" He said in a raspy voice. It sounded as though he may have had one too many Rainiers last night with Billy, it made me smile a little. Trying to relive their glory days I'm sure.

    "Oh, ok no worries" I went and grabbed a mug from the cupboard and filled it with coffee. "Uh, where is the sugar?" Sue handed me the sugar from the table. "Thanks" I took it from her hand and she just smiled at me and nodded then went back to reading her book. I put two heaping spoonfuls in my cup and stirred it around and then added a splash of milk, which had been sitting on the counter. I just stood there for a few minutes and sipped on my coffee enjoying the hot liquid. I needed the caffeine. After I was done, I put the milk back in the fridge and washed my mug out and placed it in the dish drainer to dry.

    "Well I am gonna take off" I said to my dad and Sue as I walked out of the kitchen.

    "Hey Bells, be careful" Charlie said in his raspy hung over tone. "Bye Bella" Sue said in her sweet voice. The contrast of their two voices made me laugh a little.

    "Yeah see ya later" I replied as I walked out the door and down to the garage to grab my boards. I placed in the bed of my truck and realized I didn't grab a towel or anything so I ran back in the house to get one. I ended up grabbing a blanket out of the closet as well, shit for all I knew I might need it, this place was like the Arctic to me. I said goodbye to my dad and Sue again and climbed in my truck. I still couldn't believe that my dad got me a truck, it wasn't the greatest, but it was mine. I had never had my own vehicle before, so this was pretty kick ass as far as I was concerned. I put the key in the ignition and brought the old engine to life. I turned the radio off and opted to listen to my iPod instead, not that you couldn't catch a good station out of Seattle, I just preferred my music. The first song that came on was "Under Water Love" by Smoke City, which was so weird. It was the same song that I heard coming from the black Volvo SUV yesterday. Anyway, I put my truck in gear and headed down to the store to get my wetsuit.

    When I pulled into the parking lot of the outdoor store, I saw a guy had just flipped the open sign on the door. Perfect timing; I grabbed my wallet and jumped out of my truck and headed in to the store. When I opened the door it made a little bell go off, to let the workers know that a customer was here. I started to walk over to the counter to ask where the wetsuits were. The store smelled of leather and cardboard, most likely from all of the hiking boots and shipping boxes. The store was small but well stocked, it had everything it seemed, from sleeping bags, fishing gear, canoes, and sporting equipment. When I reached the counter there was a boy there, he seemed about my age, he was a little bit taller than me, shaggy hair the color of dirty sand, and muddy blue eyes, he seemed fit, he had on a t-shirt with the stores name "Newton's Outdoor Sporting Goods" the hunter green color of the shirt was faded, he must have worked here for a while.

    "Ah, hi, do you guys sell wet suits?" I asked. The boy just kind of looked at me for a second, kind of starring. It was a little awkward.

    "Oh aaa, yeah, they are over there in the back corner" He replied. "Thanks" I said as I walked to the back. That was weird. When I got back there, they didn't have to big of a selection, but they had what I needed and luckily they had my size. Which isn't too hard, I am not the biggest person in the world. Being only 5'3'' and weighing like 105 lbs on a good day; sometimes I feel like I could where kid stuff. My small frame always made me feel awkward and clumsy, except for when I am on my board; then it is a totally different story. My body just works, my legs and arms, my feet, everything works together; every muscle just knows what to do. I love the feeling when I am up on my board riding a wave, the feeling of the ocean underneath me; it's so intense, it's better than sex. Well if I could actually make that comparison, but I am sure it's better than sex. Then for some strange reason the song "Under Water Love" flashed into my mind.

    "Hey you need any help" The guy behind the counter said, startling me. I jumped a little and shot around. I didn't even notice him walk over, spaced out again, or something.

    "Uh no I am good, I uh am gonna take this one, thanks though" I replied trying to shake myself out of my little trance.

    "Ok, I will just ring you up then. My name is Mike, Mike Newton" He said as we both walked to the counter. It made sense now that his shirt was so faded, his family must own the store. "So do you surf?"

    "Yeah, I needed a wetsuit I am not really used to the water here. I am used to surfing in much warmer water" He looked at me like he was waiting for an explanation, I hated talking about myself, but I figured since I was going to be here all summer, the least I could do was tell him my name. "Oh sorry, I'm Bella Swan" I said hesitantly as I pulled out my card to pay for my wetsuit.

    "Oh your Chief Swan's daughter, yeah I heard him talking to my dad last week when he was in here buying some fishing line, about you coming from Hawaii or something" He handed me my slip and I signed it, and handed it back to him. "So what's the surf like there, I have never been. Do you know any famous surfers, like Irons or Slater?" I just looked at him with a look of annoyance.

    "Uh, I don't know those guys personally, I know a lot of surfers, if they are famous who knows, I just like to surf" I said and grabbed my wet suit and started for the door.

    "Oh well good to meet you Bella, maybe I will see you out on the water sometime" Mike called after me. I really hope not, I thought to myself. Guys like him annoyed me, they surfed because they think it's the cool thing to do and it will get them laid, not because they love it. Jesus surfing is a lifestyle not a fucking hobby.

    "Yeah maybe" And I walked out the door. I got in my truck as quick as possible; I was ready to get down to that beach.

    It felt like it took me forever to get there, once I got pass La Push I slowed down, and on the right hand side of the road I noticed there was a small turn around. It looked like it could fit three cars, so I pulled in. It was off the road slightly and surrounded by trees leading into the forest. I got out and put my wet suit on, it wasn't that warm out, the moist air hitting my skin made me shiver. I grabbed my back pack with my towel; blanket and all my other junk, and flung it over my shoulders. I walked around my truck to get my board; I had brought both my long and short board I knew there wasn't much of calling for my short board, but I really wanted to ride it, so that is the one I grabbed and I took off for the beach. I walked across the road back pack on my shoulders and my board over my head, there wasn't anyone around and I didn't even here any vehicles, just the sound of the water crashing against the shore. I walked along the road a bit and then I saw a set of wooden steps that led down to the beach. Hell yeah I thought to myself, having to have figured a way to climb down that sandy, rocky riff would have been a chore and with my coordination, most likely a disaster. I got down to the beach an chose my spot, the smell of the water was intoxicating, the moist sand under my feet even though it was cold felt like a little piece of heaven. I set everything down and got the blanket out. I sat there for a few minute waxing my board and watching the surf. It was so different over here, La Push was choppy and could be chaotic, but this, this was beautiful. The sets were rolling in; three waves each, breaking to right. They couldn't have been more than 3-5 feet high but they were what I needed. So, that was my cue, I grabbed my board and ran. When I hit the water, it was a shock to my face; I was not used to it at all. It was like hitting ice, shit I was not ready for that, Washington Pacific and Hawaii Pacific were definitely not the same Pacific. Anyway I just shook it off and paddled out, I duck dived through the first set and made it past the break. I just sat there for a bit floating feeling the power of the water beneath me, letting the salty breeze sweep over my body, god I could just lay here forever. The water was dark and grey, not the bright clear and turquoise blue I was used to, but the smell, oh that beautiful pungent salty smell was there. I sat up and saw a set coming in, I gagged it and started to paddle, faster, faster and snap. There I was up and riding, I followed it in, working the wave, feeling its speed under my body. I immediately paddled back out past the break, I was already surf stoked. High on adrenaline a paddled in for another.

    I don't know how long I had been out there, but I was starting to get cold, so I was going to take this wave in and go get warm. I paddled into the wave, and as I stood up all of a sudden it felt like something just crashed into my board. I went head first into the water, damn I was getting thrashed. And then I felt it, a sharp deep pang against my head. I had gone straight into a big ass rock; I could feel myself start to go dark. I needed to focus, follow your bubbles Bella, I couldn't my body hurt, it was getting smashed back into the rock again, I couldn't figure which way was up. My focus was gone, I could feel myself slipping, I didn't panic as the black started to take over, a strange calm rushed over me, and I could hear the words to "Under Water Love" playing. I just let myself go. Then all of a sudden I felt myself jerk, I could feel my body being pulled. I wasn't fully aware of what was happening, then it hit me like a Mack truck, the air, it was cold, and piercing. I could feel the salt water burning in my throat as I spit it out. My hands were in the gravely sand, my lungs and chest hurt, my throat burned, I was trying to open my eyes, but my head was throbbing. I forced my eyelids to crack and there hovering over me was a figure. A man, boy, with dark brown auburn hair, he had dark golden or black eyes, with long eye lashes, I couldn't tell they were so intense, his face was smooth, square jaw, full lips, his shoulders were broad, his chest was strong and lean. I just held there stunned, looking at his pale, heroic physique. Was I dreaming I didn't know my head was throbbing?

    "Hello, hey stay with me, hey stay with" I heard him say, his voice was like deep velvet. But I could feel myself fading again and I let go.

    

    Images taken from google.com (Washington Surf Pics)


There ya go monkeys...hope you love it..grrrr...enjoy enjoy...huggies and squieshies...

4 comments:

  1. OMG,Kate.That was great. I cant wait until the next chapter. Make sure you put it on soon or I might die with excitement xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. awsome, you should definitly look into writing your own fiction...you got a great imagination, i loved can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much you guys are awesome...I am going to try and get Chapter 4 up before the weekend...Working my ass off at the moment...Love you all for reading...huggies and squishies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks Kate, I really appreciate it and I love you too and I love to read your Chapters x

    ReplyDelete