Saturday, August 28, 2010

University of Eternity Chapter 2


Chapter 2
Cloudy is the new Sunny

 

 

 

 
    It was a little awkward seeing Charlie at baggage claim. He was standing there leaning up against one of the pillars next to where they said my flights luggage was going to be coming out, he had on a pair of jeans, a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up, hiking boots, and of course the famous Chief Swan mustache, his hair was still short and with just a touch of gray at the edges and in his mustache, and maybe he looked a little older, but other than that the same old Charlie. He always looked as though he was ready to go fishing or hiking, as did most of the people in Washington. He didn't notice me at first as I came walking over, he seemed to be lost in his thoughts.

    "Cha…Dad" I said getting his attention. "Hey" I felt like I was interrupting him or something. I just kind of stood there; I felt a little odd I didn't know what to do. I hadn't seen him in 4 years and we weren't exactly the closest and didn't have that kind of huggy relationship, well at least not since I was little as far as I knew.

    "Oh, hey Bells. How was your flight?" He said breaking away from whatever thoughts he was absorbed in.

    "It was fine, I had a window seat and no one sat next to me so I had plenty of room" I just kind of stood there for a second, then I walked over to where the luggage come out, it was starting to beep letting everyone know that their luggage was coming. Charlie followed behind me keeping a safe distance between us, I could tell he felt a little nervous. "Hey Dad I hope you brought your truck and not the cruiser cause I brought my surfboards with me"

    "Yeah I figured as much, don't worry Bells I brought the Truck"

    Charlie helped me grab my suitcases and surfboards off the conveyer and then went and got a cart. We loaded the stuff up and headed out to the truck. After we got in the truck I pulled my cell phone out and called my Mom and Phil to let them know that I made it. My Mother of course reminding me to be nice and to try to have fun; it just made me think about Hawaii and how much I already missed it. I hadn't even been gone 24 hours yet and it felt as though it had been years. The ride to Forks was quiet, Charlie didn't say much and I didn't do much to encourage it. The sky was cloudy and the air was slightly warm, but not like the summer warm I was used to, I was kind of cold and was glad that I had my hoodie with me. By the time we got to Forks it started to rain a little, something I was going to have to get used to. Charlie pulled into the driveway, his police cruiser was parked off to the side. The house still looked the same, white with cement steps leading to the wooden front door; the grass and hedges had just been cut, I could smell it as I got out of the truck. The tree that stood out front seemed bigger, the branches almost touching the house.

    "Looks the same" I said as Charlie grabbed my suitcases from the truck. I grabbed my surfboard from the bed.

    "Yep" Charlie responded as he walked up the steps into the house. "You can put your boards in the garage; I put up some wooden hooks so you can hang them"

    "Oh, thanks" I replied and then walked over to the garage. I set my boards against the side and opened the garage door and found the hooks and hung them up. As I was walking back up to the front of the house a black Volvo SUV, red Mercedes, and a silver Jeep that was all decked out drove past the house; it wouldn't have caught my attention other than those cars seemed a little out of place for the small town of Forks. The Vovlo slowed down a little as it drove by, I could hear the music from the car. I recognized the song, it was "Under Water Love" by Smoke City, and I noticed that on top of the Volvo there was a surfboard carrier, I couldn't see who was inside because the windows were tinted dark.

    "Hey Dad" I yelled in the house.

    "Yeah, I'm up here" He replied from upstairs.

    I walked up the stairs, lugging my backpack. I walked into my room, to find Charlie parking my suitcases. It was the same, teal blue walls, a 1940's style bedroom set that was my grandma's, and white sheer curtains. My boxes my mom had sent were in the corner and the smaller one was sitting on the desk. There were still pictures hanging up that I had painted from when I was little. That made me smile a little, I could see that Charlie had cleaned it, there wasn't much dust and there was a stack of clean sheets on the bed. It smelled of lemon cleaner, cardboard boxes and rain from outside, I could see he had opened one of the windows.

    "He who owns the black Volvo, it seemed to be in a group with a red Mercedes and a silver Jeep" I asked curiously

    "Oh, yeah those are the Cullen kids. They moved here a few years back. A few of them just graduated this year." He replied looking at me with a slight smirk on his face, like he was wondering why I cared.

    "I was just wondering those cars seemed a little out of place for Forks" I said as I moved over and sat on my bed, the mattress was soft under my weight.

    "Yeah well, that family has money. Their dad is Dr. Cullen he is the new head of the surgical department over at the hospital and I think his wife Esme is some sort of architect or something fancy like that" He said scratching his neck. "They are nice people, Dr. Cullen does a lot of good and helps down at the station when its needed. And his kids never give me any trouble, they mostly stick to themselves. People talked when they first got here, but that didn't last too long, they just weren't used to having people with money around is all and 4 of the 5 well they are kind of couples, see there are Rosalie and Jasper Hale who are brother and sister, and then there is Emmet, Edward and Alice Cullen who are brothers and sister, and Dr. and Mrs. Cullen took them in, they are all foster kids. And I guess Rosalie and Emmet are a couple and Alice and Jasper are a couple, I don't know, people talked and well whatever. Other people's business is other people's business. Those kids were always good and never caused me any grief and from what Red told me, they were pretty damn smart too, all of them were straight A students in school and never caused problems"

    "Oh, kay" I replied as I was messing with my iPod. Then we heard honking coming from the driveway. I looked up at Charlie curious.

    "Oh that must be Billy, Jacob and Sue. C'mon Bells I gotta surprise for ya" He said as he started to walk downstairs and outside.

    I walked outside and there was Billy Black, Jacob and Sue Clearwater. Charlie walked over to Billy giving him a friendly handshake and punching Jacob on the shoulder. Then to my surprise he walked over to Sue and hugged her then planted a kiss on her cheek. I just kind of stood there for a second confused, and then I walked down the steps to great everyone. Jacob had definitely changed, he was tall and muscular, I mean holyshit he was not the boy I remembered at all. I had to stop myself from starring.

    "Hey Bells, you remember Billy Black and Jacob" He said as he stood there with his arm around Sue.

    "Yeah, hey; how are you guys doing?" I asked still slightly confused by my dad's actions and Jacobs physique.

    "Hey, Bella how was your flight?" Billy asked as he rolled over in his wheel chair. Jacob stood there leaning against an old chevy truck that was a faded redish orange color.

    "So Bella, you still surf?" Jacob asked picking at some dirt that was stuck on the bed of the truck.

    "Yeah, I brought my boards" I replied, I was getting anxious standing there. I wanted to know the meaning behind my dad's behavior. "So dad what's the surprise?" I asked trying to act cool.

    "Well you're looking at it, so what do ya think?" He said as he pointed to the truck that Jacob was leaning against.

    "Huh, you got me a truck?" I asked in a slightly shocked tone.

    "Yep just bought it off Billy, got it for your graduation present. Figured you could use a set of wheels while you're here, figured you would need it" He said smiling and pulling Sue a little bit tighter. "And the other part of your surprise is, Sue and I are getting married" he said and then kissed sue on the cheek.

    I just kind of stood there for a minute in shock. I had no idea my dad was even dating. And the fact that Sue was my dad's friends wife, well widow; I never really thought about Charlie as being the relationship kind of guy. Maybe that is what he was thinking about when he was at the airport.

    "Uh, um Congratulations" I said stumbling over my words. I really didn't know what else to say. "Thanks for the truck, its perfect" I blurted out as I walked over to it.

    "Yeah I totally rebuilt the engine and did some body work on it, it runs great, but you have to make sure you double pump the clutch when you shift" Jacob said as he climbed into the passenger seat next to me. I put the key into the ignition and let the engine roar. "Hey dad gonna go take her out for a spin"

    "Alright Bells, buckle up and be safe" He said and then Jacob and I pulled out of the driveway.

    We drove down to La Push beach. It was cloudy out still and kind of misty out. I kind of wish that I had brought my surfboard but I didn't have a wetsuit yet; I needed to go pick one up tomorrow first thing tomorrow. Jacob was talkative as I drove; he messed around with the radio until he found a song that he liked. I didn't pay too much attention to it; I was trying to concentrate on driving. When we got to the beach I pulled into a parking space and turned the engine off, it back fired and it made me jump. Jacob just looked at me and snickered.

    "So, has there been any good swells?" I asked Jake as I got out of my truck.

    "Yeah there has been a few, nothing to great" He replied as we headed toward the water.

    We walked down the beach for a while. I looked back and couldn't really see the truck anymore, I wasn't worried. I doubt anyone was going to steal it. We had walked quite a ways, I didn't recognize where we were. I don't think I have ever been to this part of the beach before. Then Jake grabbed my arm suddenly.

    "Uh hey we should turn around" He said in a strange tone.

    "Why, what's the big deal? It's just more beach" I said looking at him strangely.

    "Well that is a private beach over there" He said again in that strange tone.

    "And what you're scared of trespassing? Seriously? I said in an annoyed tone. C'mon there isn't anyone here Jake, let's just keep walking" I said and tried to pull him along. But he just stopped me.

    "No Bella" He said sternly and grabbed my arm. It kind of hurt, not really but he had a serious look on his face now. His eyes were dark and piercing and his hand felt big and strong against my arm.

    "Jesus Jake, let go you're hurting me" I yelled and jerked away from him. I just stood there pissed and annoyed. I just walked off back towards the truck. I didn't talk to him the rest of the way back. I pulled in the driveway of my house and turned the truck off. I got out and slammed the door shut and marched up the stairs into the house. Jake followed and went into the living room where everyone else was at. They were all laughing and drinking beer. I could see the cans of rainier on the coffee table. I went into the kitchen to grab a coke out of the fridge. I was still irritated at Jake. I wanted to know why he wouldn't go down that part of the beach. It didn't make any sense, it's not like anyone was there, no one would have known. Well all I knew is that I was going to go back there alone, private beach my ass. 


La Push Beach



Song: "Under Water Love" by Smoke City

1 comment:

  1. OMFG Kate. You had my heart in my mouth. What is up with that beach and why is Jake so scared of going onto that part? Dont keep me begging and dying for more lol xx
    Ps. Luv you Kate, Your fab ;)

    ReplyDelete